The majestic, colorfully carved wooden Swaminarayan Temple in the Old City was built in 1822 as the first temple of the Swaminarayan Hindu sect. Adherents believe that the sect’s founder, Swaminarayan (1781–1830), is supreme. The Heritage Walk, which starts here daily at 8am, usually coincides with services at the temple, and devotees flock to the venue. Each panel is made from Burmese teak and has artistic details. The gateway carvings also have Rajasthani costumes and colors. The main deities of the temple are Nar Narayan Dev, Shree Radha Krishna Dev, Shree Dharmabaktimata, Hari Krushna Maharaj, Shree Bal Swarap Gansham Maharaj and Sri Rammohar Gansham Maharaj. The western side of the temple is intended as the residence of the ascetic or Sankyayagi women.Read More
The land for the construction of this first Swaminarayan Sampradeh Temple was donated by the British Imperial Government. The task of establishing this pilgrimage site was personally entrusted to Ananand Swami by Lord Swaminarayan.
This is the first temple of Swaminarayan Sampradeh to be built according to biblical norms, with intricate carvings of pure Burmese teak wood and deities representing axiomatic religion and Indian culture, auspicious symbols, religious There is sculptural art depicting icon episodes.
In front of thousands of pilgrims representing all parts of India, the ceremony of installing a multiform in a temple was celebrated.
Next to the deities in the main temple, a child-shaped idol, Gansham Maharaj, was installed in a place called Akshar Bhavan. There, Swaminarayan’s personal belongings were displayed for visitors and devotees to see. Besides the worshiped deities in the main temple, it also houses a sculpture of Swaminarayan.